Open source software provider Camunda today unveiled the latest release of the Camunda Platform, modernizing fragmented and fragile RPA bot implementations that are costing companies billions of dollars annually to implement and maintain.1 Camunda introduces an enterprise-scale tech stack to orchestrate, monitor, and analyze multiple RPA bots, enabling them to be part of a fully managed, end-to-end business process. This tech stack also provides a ready upgrade path, enabling organizations to replace aging and brittle RPA scripts with scalable APIs that are required for today’s digital enterprise. Camunda’s latest 7.14 release was unveiled today during CamundaCon LIVE 2020.2, the global process automation event of the year.
“Fragmented automation initiatives, a patchwork of vendors, incomplete governance models and attempts to automate overly complex tasks stall programs. Organizations that attempt to grow their RPA program must overcome process, governance and culture obstacles,” stated the May 2020 Forrester Research, Inc. report, Ten Golden Rules for RPA Success.
In fact, nine in 10 process automation professionals say their organization experiences some challenges from their RPA deployments, according to Camunda’s 2020 State of Process Automation survey, to be published later this month.
“The proliferation of RPA bots within organizations can quickly introduce complexity and technical debt that pose daunting challenges to organizations. While providing value in the short term, they are a band-aid solution. RPA bots grow to be fragile and inflexible over time, costing companies billions and requiring expensive rework,” said Daniel Meyer, Camunda CTO. “Camunda’s open architecture supports a lifecycle approach to end-to-end process automation, allowing RPA teams to first incorporate and orchestrate various RPA tools, and then providing the foundation to migrate them to more robust APIs that support true digital transformation.”
With today’s announcement, Camunda introduces a strategic approach to address common RPA scaling challenges, enabling organizations to:
- Centrally monitor and analyze RPA bot activities across the enterprise
- Orchestrate multiple RPA bots along other activities within end-to-end business processes
- Replace RPA bots with modern APIs/microservices to minimize technical debt
Using the Camunda Platform and following this approach, companies can maximize the short-term benefits from their existing RPA bots, while reducing their technical debt with a path to scale toward the modern architectures that drive today’s digital businesses.
Deutsche Telekom is implementing RPA to create better customer experiences, and with more than 3,000 RPA bots at work, requires a strategic approach that will evolve with the business. Going forward, these RPA bots will be increasingly replaced by API-based interfaces, which is readily done in Camunda without having to further adapt the business processes.
“Maintaining and documenting our RPA bots as part of a larger workflow is time intensive, and our processes can generate errors that are hard to trace. Camunda enables us to orchestrate the many RPA bots, APIs and other tasks within our automated processes. With this latest release, our team is looking forward to the new catalog for RPA services, which allow us to more easily integrate existing RPA bots into our processes and eventually completely replace them with more robust APIs,” said Christoph Anzer, project manager RPA/OREO, Deutsche Telekom Service GmbH.
Camunda Platform’s RPA modernization features include:
- RPA orchestration with BPMN and DMN standards: Configure and automate processes end-to-end using the popular BPMN and DMN standards for process and decision automation to orchestrate RPA bots.
- Out-of-the-box bridge for popular RPA tools: Increase developer productivity with pre-built connections to popular RPA tools. This latest release includes an integration with UiPath.
- Catalog of RPA services: Create and reuse templates that connect tasks to existing RPA services.
- End-to-end process design: Create, edit, and specify end-to-end processes that include RPA task activities alongside BPMN task types.
- Operational visibility into RPA bot activities: Provide alerts and centrally monitor and analyze RPA bot activities.
- RPA analytics and insights: Optimize end-to-end process automation through analytics and reporting across legacy systems, RPA vendors and other process components.
Camunda’s new features for RPA modernization are part of Camunda Platform 7.14, scheduled for distribution on October 13 as a free, open source Community Edition as well as a commercial Enterprise Edition. Open source downloads and a free trial of the Enterprise Edition are available at www.camunda.com/download.
Camunda Platform 7.14 release webinar
1 – RPA market revenue is on target to meet Forrester’s estimate of $2.9 billion in 2021, according to the August 2020 Forrester Research, Inc. report, The RPA Market Has Reached a Defining Moment.
Camunda is an open source software company innovating process automation with a developer-friendly approach that is standards-based, highly scalable and collaborative for business and IT.
A community of thousands of users across companies such as Allianz, ING, and Vodafone design, automate and improve mission-critical business processes end-to-end with Camunda, enabling them to build software applications more flexibly, collaboratively and efficiently, gaining the business agility, visibility and scale needed to drive digital transformation. To learn more visit camunda.com.