The City of Peachtree Corners is celebrating the grand opening of Curiosity Lab at Peachtree Corners – the nation’s first intelligent mobility and smart city living laboratory powered by cutting-edge infrastructure and Sprint’s True Mobile 5G– where companies will prove out Internet of Things (IoT/connected device) applications and technologies that will change the way people live and the way businesses operate in the near future.
“Companies that are paving the way forward with next-generation IoT technologies have been missing one step in the development process: a living laboratory environment to test the technology that has graduated from a controlled laboratory environment,” said Brian Johnson, city manager for Peachtree Corners. “Curiosity Lab at Peachtree Corners provides a first-of-its-kind, real-world testing environment to prove out these technologies – creating realistic conditions that enable robotics, artificial intelligence solutions, autonomous services and countless more use cases to be optimized and ultimately scaled for the suburban and urban landscapes of tomorrow.”
WORLD-CLASS COMPANIES. HIGH-PROFILE GUESTS. GROUNDBREAKING TECHNOLOGY COMING TO LIFE.
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony – 9:30 a.m. on Sept. 11
- Lieutenant Governor of Georgia – Geoff Duncan
- Secretary of State of Georgia – Brad Raffensperger
- Mayor of City of Peachtree Corners – Mike Mason
- President of Sprint Business– Jan Geldmacher
- Chairman, President & CEO, Georgia Power – Paul Bowers
Autonomous Machines and Services – Illustrating the Future at Curiosity Lab
- Olli, the world’s first co-created, self-driving, electric shuttle, will transport guests – Local Motors
- Autonomous drones delivering packages – Autonodyne and Valqari
- Teleoperated e-scooter – Tortoise
Humanlike service robot with artificial intelligence in the cloud and a virtual avatar – CloudMinds Technologies, Inc.
“Cloud Pepper” is a humanoid robot – customized by CloudMinds – based on SoftBank Robotics’ “Pepper,” the world’s first personal humanoid robot.
- “Pepper” is trademarked by SoftBank Robotics. (https://www.softbankrobotics.com)
- “Cloudia” digital avatar is a branded virtual personality on screens used across retail, hospitality and additional industries.
- “Cloud Pepper” is a humanoid robot – customized by CloudMinds – based on SoftBank Robotics’ “Pepper,” the world’s first personal humanoid robot.
Autonomous vehicles and leading automotive technologies from Kia:
- The Kia HabaNiro concept car – featuring all-electric design, augmented reality experiences and autonomous driving capabilities
- The Kia Telluride midsize SUV – with autonomous technologies
- Mercedes-Benz will be at the event showcasing their MBUX
- Smart Delivery-Only Kitchen Solution by REEF KITCHENS
- Autonomous commercial lawnmowers – Greenzie
- Smart light poles with built-in connectivity for smart city infrastructure – Valmont Industries
LIVE SMART CITY INFRASTRUCTURE. UNPARALLELED IN THE UNITED STATES.
Real-World Smart City Connectivity:
Future technologies will come alive with Sprint’s groundbreaking connectivity, designed specifically for smart cities and IoT technologies
- Curiosity™ IoT: A dedicated low latency network, coupled with an operating system purpose-built for IoT/connected devices and complemented by LTE/5G/LPWA Cat M connectivity
- Designed to generate invaluable business intelligence from massive amounts of test data generated by IoT devices
- Future technologies will come alive with Sprint’s groundbreaking connectivity, designed specifically for smart cities and IoT technologies
Smart Power Solutions: Georgia Power
- Georgia Power has been instrumental in the development of the lab by delivering smart power solutions for electric vehicle charging, smart streetlights and more
Advanced Mobility Corridor:
- A 1.5-mile track for testing autonomous vehicles and machines, complete with next-generation infrastructure – such as “smart pole” solutions and other fixtures with built-in sensors/small cells for connectivity
- Pedestrian sidewalks and several bus stops are configured to demonstrate “smart transit” solutions
- 13-degree slope with curve – critical for advanced autonomous machine use case testing
Technology Incubator Inside an Existing 500-Acre Technology Park:
- 25,000-square-foot technology development space with hardware labs, classrooms, conference rooms and more facilities
- Hotels, offices, retail locations and more facilities
Media/analysts interested in attending the grand opening ceremony can contact the City of Peachtree Corners public relations team at Peachtree@godriven360.com or by calling 310-374-6177.
About Curiosity Lab at Peachtree Corners
Curiosity Lab is a 5G-powered autonomous vehicle and smart city technology living laboratory located in Peachtree Corners, Ga. – a northern suburb of Atlanta. The centerpiece of the lab is a 1.5-mile test and demo track which provides a real-world environment to prove out emerging Internet of Things (IoT)/connected device technologies – from self-driving machines and services, cloud robotics to countless more applications that will redefine the way people live and businesses operate into the future. Additional infrastructure includes a network operations center, smart poles, DSRC units, dedicated fiber and a 25,000-square-foot technology incubator. Additional information can be found at www.curiositylabptc.com