DexCom, Inc. (NASDAQ:DXCM) announced today the Dexcom G6 Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System is now available at Veterans Affairs (VA) pharmacies, improving access to CGM and empowering veterans with diabetes to better manage their condition. Veterans with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes who meet the qualifying coverage criteria have 100% of the costs of Dexcom G6 covered by the VA.
“Previously, VA prescriptions for Dexcom CGM were filled through the Durable Medical Equipment channel, which can result in additional costs and potential delays for patients in obtaining the system and its supplies. In the past, patients may have waited two to six weeks for supplies, but now VA patients who are prescribed Dexcom G6 will be able to start CGM and refill supplies in just two to three days at their local VA pharmacy,” said Kevin Sayer, chairman, president and CEO of Dexcom. “Veterans have made incredible sacrifices on behalf of our country, and they deserve to have access to the most innovative technology that can help make diabetes management easier and improve their health.”
Veterans are 2.5 times more likely to have diabetes than the general population—with one in four veterans diagnosed with diabetes. The VA’s new streamlined prescription and pharmacy process for Dexcom G6 CGM will make it easier for veterans to obtain and adhere to CGM, helping to improve diabetes management for this important population.
“Easier access to CGM at the pharmacy is a big win for veterans with diabetes. Research continues to show CGM should be the standard of care for any diabetes patient on intensive insulin therapy,” said Dhiren Patel, PharmD, CDCES, BC-ADM, BCACP, an endocrine clinical pharmacy specialist. “Dexcom G6 has a number of highly beneficial features including predictive low alerts to help avoid dangerous low blood sugar events, time-in-range reports, and remote monitoring capabilities that allow patients to share their glucose data in real time with up to 10 followers.”
Dexcom G6 features and benefits:
- Fingerstick elimination – No fingersticks needed for calibration or diabetes treatment decisions*
- Continuous glucose readings – Automatically sends glucose readings to a Dexcom receiver or compatible smart device† every five minutes
- Mobile app and sharing – Compatibility with smart device† apps allows for sharing glucose information with up to 10 people for added support‡
- Customizable alarms and alerts – Personalized alert schedule immediately warns the wearer of pending dangerous high and low blood sugars
- Easy sensor applicator – One-touch, simple insertion
- Discreet and low profile – Transmitter with a 28% lower profile than previous generation Dexcom CGMs makes the device comfortable and easy to wear under clothing
- Acetaminophen blocking – Allows for more accurate glucose readings with no medication interference
- Predictive low alert – Predicts hypoglycemia before it hits to help avoid dangerous low blood sugar events§
- Extended 10-day sensor – Allows for 43% longer wear than previous generation Dexcom CGMs
The new government contract and procurement pathway at the VA for Dexcom G6 makes prescribing Dexcom CGM now more cost effective and efficient for the VA.
Dexcom G6 is 100% covered for VA patients who meet the following coverage criteria:
- Has diabetes mellitus
- Requires an intensive insulin regimen (e.g. ≥3 injections a day, or insulin pump) to achieve desired glycemic control (target range) based upon shared-decision making)
- Requires frequent blood glucose monitoring (≥4 or more times a day)
- Has the knowledge and skill set necessary to successfully utilize CGM
- Agrees to ongoing medical appointments with multidisciplinary team at least every six months to assess the adherence and benefit derived from CGM
Meets at least one of the following criteria:
- At risk for hypoglycemia
- Unable to meet glycemic control despite adherence to the treatment regimen
- Performing job-related activities where a hypoglycemic event could put them at risk of harm
- Unable to perform self-monitoring of blood glucose due to disability or disease
Patients and VA healthcare providers can learn more about starting or prescribing Dexcom CGM through the VA at Dexcom.com/veterans.
About DexCom, Inc.
Dexcom, Inc. empowers people to take control of diabetes through innovative continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Dexcom has emerged as a leader of diabetes care technology. By listening to the needs of users, caregivers, and providers, Dexcom simplifies and improves diabetes management around the world. For more information about Dexcom CGM, visit www.dexcom.com.
*If your glucose alerts and readings from the Dexcom G6 do not match symptoms or expectations, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment decisions.
† For a list of compatible devices, visit www.dexcom.com/compatibility.
‡Separate Follow App required.
§The urgent low soon can warn you in advance of severe hypoglycemia—allowing you time to take appropriate action before it happens.
Dexcom, Dexcom G6, and Dexcom CLARITY are registered trademarks of Dexcom, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. ©2019 Dexcom Inc. All rights reserved.