Today at its annual partner conference, explore ’20, Expedia Group shared its continued commitment to focus on technological innovation as a key driver in recovery and beyond. The world’s leading online travel agency is calling on all players in the global travel ecosystem to adapt to the shift in traveler expectations in critical areas such as flexibility, cleanliness, and communication to restore traveler confidence.
Joined by speakers from companies representing the diverse travel industry, including American Airlines, Amigo Tours, Avis Budget Group, IHG, and Princess Cruises, among others, today’s speakers showcased how data-powered technology addressed the challenges and opportunities brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, while helping make travel partners more effective, efficient, and resilient.
“Travel is an industry comprised of many diverse and distinct voices, and by working together, we continue to bring hope of exploration back to people around the world,” said Cyril Ranque, Group President of the Travel Partners Group, Expedia Group. “Technology innovation has played a massive role this year and is a key driver in building a more efficient and sustainable travel ecosystem next year and the years to come.”
Data and technology to give travel partners more control
Using the power of Expedia Group’s first-party data and technology, travel partners moved quickly to capture audiences, understand traveler booking trends, and more relevantly showcase their unique value to better match with the right pockets of demand.
- Rev+ Insights API: Expedia Group’s new API levels the playing field across the Expedia Group marketplace, further democratizing revenue performance technology for all lodging partners. It provides real-time insights during a time when historical data is no longer relevant, creates operational efficiencies, and improves decision-making. The Rev+ Insights API will be made available to additional connectivity provider platforms in 2021.
- Optimized Distribution Program: Expedia Group opened its optimized distribution program to mid and large-sized lodging partners in August this year, allowing them to tap into new areas of B2B demand and giving them increased control of their B2B rates, availability and content across a network of global travel providers. Multiple partners including Highgate and Club Quarters have signed on to-date.
- Simplified Onboarding Process: For property managers in vacation rentals, Expedia Group developed the “Add a Property” tool, which makes adding more properties quick and easy within Expedia Group Partner Central and dramatically simplifies the onboarding processes.
- Value Add for Cruise Suppliers: Expedia Group delivered on its omnichannel strategy to improve the traveler, partner, and distribution channel experience for cruise. This streamlines the booking process to deliver more travelers to cruise partners. By consolidating to a single platform and developing new agent technology, franchise and consultant websites now receive access to a broad inventory of cruise and non-cruise product, among other benefits.
Meeting traveler expectations on flexibility, health, and cleanliness
Booking flexibility and health and safety are expected to remain important factors to travelers now and in the future. Expedia Group has added new features to clearly communicate new protocols that increase traveler confidence while minimizing post-booking complications.
- Booking Flexibility: Travelers looking for flexibility in their bookings want to quickly understand which airlines and properties are offering the ability to change bookings at no extra charge. Expedia Group added in a prominent “no change fees” badge on flights and a “free cancellation” filter for lodging bookings.
- Touchless Technology in Car Rentals: COVID-19 has disrupted the way people travel, while accelerating digitization and automation across the industry. Expedia Group launched “Online Check-in” and “Skip the Counter,” new features to improve the car experience for travelers while adhering to social distancing protocols. The “Online Check-in” feature is live with 15 supply partners including Alamo, Avis, Budget, and Sixt.
- Elevating Safety Measures: Expedia Group increased transparency around health and safety protocols, making it easier for partners across all segments to communicate their health and safety practices to travelers via their listings. For airline travelers, engagement with cleanliness and safety information is on par with the “non-stop” filter, the most used air filter on Expedia Group sites. Furthermore, listings with clearly labeled health and safety information saw in increase in interest from travelers.
Delivering on the traveler experience
Expedia Group technology and simple processes helps increase the efficiencies of travel providers, giving them time to focus on creating amazing experiences that restore traveler confidence.
- Streamlined Shopping Experience: Expedia Group’s cruise division consolidated every point of purchase across the company into one single platform, allowing travelers to shop for an array of cruise offers on their own or with the help of an agent. Additionally, travelers can also purchase Expedia Group’s extensive supply of flights, lodging, transfers, and activities to fulfill the needs of their entire travel itinerary.
- Upsell Options for Airline Partners: While upsell options are traditionally displayed after a traveler selects flights, Expedia Group tested airfare selection in the search results to help travelers easily compare prices and select the fare that is best suited for their travel needs. These capabilities are popular with travelers, with upsell gross bookings increasing 237 percent year-over-year (based on 2019 Expedia Group upsell transactions).
- Increased Activities Visibility: Expedia Group increased the visibility of activities to travelers, which increased distribution across Expedia Group brands. With a large global travel ecosystem, Expedia Group focused on connecting travelers with relevant activities partners, making it seamless for travelers to book and redeem all components of their entire trip, including activities.
Viewing explore ’20 on-demand
Virtual explore ’20 continues on Thursday, December 10, with industry luminaries Rick Steves and Gloria Guevara, President and CEO of the World Travel & Tourism Council. On-demand recordings from explore ’20 will be available at www.exploreexpediagroup.com starting the week of December 14 until the end of 2020.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group helps knock down the barriers to travel, making it easier, more enjoyable, more attainable and more accessible. We are here to bring the world within reach for travelers and partners around the globe. We leverage our platform and technology capabilities across an extensive portfolio of businesses and brands to orchestrate the movement of people and the delivery of travel experiences on both a local and global basis. Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, Classic Vacations®, Traveldoo® and VacationRentals.com.
© 2020 Expedia, Inc., an Expedia Group company. All rights reserved. Expedia and the Expedia Group logo are trademarks of Expedia, Inc.