Monotype today announced nominations are open now through Oct 16th, 2020 for the 2020 Type Champions Award program. In its second year, the Type Champions Award recognizes brands that are committed to excellence in design and typography. Leading brands recognized last year were & Other Stories, Alibaba Group, Audi, Dropbox, Juventus, Mailchimp, Ogilvy, Southwest Airlines, Squarespace, The Guardian, The New School and The New York Times.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201007005350/en/
“Typography has always played a critical role in a brand’s identity, but the pandemic has further highlighted its ability to convey a brand’s personality and mission across an ever-increasing list of digital interfaces,” said James Fooks-Bale, creative director of Monotype. “The 2020 Type Champions Award will celebrate the companies and designers that have found creative ways to use type to create authentic relationships with consumers.”
Nominated brands should demonstrate a focus on type in building brand messages, marketing and advertising campaigns, and creating unified overall customer experiences. Winners will be selected by a panel of global branding experts including:
- Abbott Miller, Partner, Pentagram
- Alejandro Paul, Type Designer and Founder, Sudtipos
- Andy Payne, Global Chief Creative Officer, Interbrand
- Bobby C. Martin Jr., Co-Founder, Champions Design
- Brett Zucker, Chief Marketing Officer, Monotype
- Brian Collins, Chief Creative Officer and Founder, COLLINS
- Charles Nix, Type Director, Monotype
- James Fooks-Bale, Creative Director, Monotype
- Jenn Hilliard, Senior Manager, Brand Development & Strategy, Rocket Mortgage
- Josh Miles, Chief Marketing Officer of SMPS and Host of Obsessed Show
- Kirsten Dietz, Founder and Partner, Strichpunkt Design
- Kristine Arth, Founder and Principal Designer, Lobster Phone
- Mohamed Gaber, Founder, Kief Type Foundry
- Nicole Johnson, Associate Director User Experience, Iconmobile Group
- Patrick Märki, Managing Director, KMS Team
- Perrin Drumm, Head of Publishing, A24
- Rodney Abbot, Senior Partner, Lippincott
- Sherina Florence, Creative Director, Ogilvy
“Good typography captures a brand’s ethos and translates it immediately—in a single letter,” said Perrin Drumm, who was part of last year’s panel. “That’s not easy, and I’m excited to recognize the designers who are doing it best.”
Winners will be announced later this year. To learn more about the judging process and complete a nomination, click here. To follow the conversation around this year’s nominees, search #TypeChampions2020 on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Monotype empowers creative minds to build and express authentic brands through design, technology and expertise. Further information is available at www.monotype.com. Follow Monotype on Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Monotype is a trademark of Monotype Imaging Inc. registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be registered in certain other jurisdictions. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
©2020 Monotype Imaging Holdings Inc. All rights reserved.
Evaluated by a panel of branding experts from around the world, this year’s competition will recognize brands and designers that have used typefaces that make an impact.