Varada, a big data query acceleration innovator, today unveiled its data virtualization platform which helps organizations instantly monetize all of their available data with a predictable and controlled budget. Using a dynamic indexing technology, the Varada Data Platform enables data teams to balance performance and cost of queries at massive scale, without ceding control of their data to third-party vendors.
The Varada Data Platform, available today, offers advantages compared with other data virtualization tools:
- Embrace the data lake architecture, allowing organizations to retain full control of their data and avoid vendor lock-in. Because the Varada Data Platform sits atop a customer’s existing data lake, there is no need to move data or budget for additional ETLs and storage, which reduces both cost and complexity while enabling data teams to keep data secure under consistent policies.
- Offers “glass box” visibility into how workloads perform. Data teams get deep visibility into workload performance and cluster utilization. They can easily define workload priorities, business requirements and budget. Varada automatically optimizes workloads to meet those performance and budget requirements. Even without the input of data architects, Varada continuously monitors workloads to identify heavy users, hotspots, bottlenecks and other issues and, using machine learning, elastically adjusts the compute and storage cluster. Alternatively, data teams have the option to exercise fine-grained control of budgets and business requirements, so they can gain full control and flexibility.
- Applies unique “adaptive indexing” technology to effectively accelerate queries. The Varada Data Platform drastically reduces query execution time and the required compute resources. The key is Varada’s proprietary indexing technology, which breaks data across any column into nano blocks and automatically chooses the most effective index for each nano block based on the data content and structure. This unique indexing technology is what makes queries extremely fast without the need to model data or move it to optimized data platforms.
“The beta period for this product has proven two things,” said Eran Vanounou, CEO of Varada. “First, that organizations are desperate for a way to simplify data ops management while getting the cost of query acceleration under control. Second, the path we’ve chosen is striking a chord: Varada is a ‘zero data ops’ approach that eliminates data silos by serving many workloads from one platform. And because all queries will run atop the data lake, there is a single source of truth that eliminates the need to move or model data. With several dozen early users on the platform, it’s time to bring this innovative approach to a market that’s ready for it.”
Pricing and Supported Data Sources
The Varada Data Platform currently runs on AWS and supports reserved, on-demand and spot instances. Pricing is per-node, based on a predefined scaling group. The Varada Data Platform is available on AWS Marketplace with integrated billing through AWS, or via AMI (Amazon Machine Image). Enterprise support is also available from Varada.
The platform supports a wide range of data sources and formats, including:
- Data Formats: ORC, Parquet, JSON, CSV and more
- Data Catalogs: Hive Metastore, AWS Glue
- Additional Data Sources: PostgreSQL, MySQL and more
Coming soon are support for GCP and Azure.
The Varada mission is to enable data practitioners to go beyond the traditional limitations imposed by data infrastructure and instead zero in on the data and answers they need—with complete control over performance, cost and flexibility. In Varada’s world of big data, every query can find its optimal plan, with no prior preparation and no bottlenecks, providing consistent performance at a petabyte scale. Varada was founded by veterans of the Dell EMC XtremIO core team, and is dedicated to leveraging the data lake architecture to take on the challenge of data and business agility. Varada has been recognized in the Cool Vendors in Data Management report by Gartner, Inc. For more information, visit: https://varada.io/.