Attention 2.0: Enhancing Ad Measurement Beyond Clicks & Viewability, a commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting, on behalf of Yieldmo, determined how customer attention metrics can improve mobile advertising outcomes.
Surveying retail, automotive and CPG/manufacturing marketers at 164 brands in October 2019, 98% of respondents believe attention metrics will drive value for their organizations. But less than half of respondents feel confident in their ability to measure granular mobile ad metrics. Without deeper behavioral insights, marketers believe they are delivering lower customer satisfaction and poorly optimized advertising campaigns.
Yieldmo commissioned this study to validate that the data and metrics from its AEROS Attention Analytics℠ solution can help marketers improve advertising outcomes. As mobile becomes more important to media investments, marketers should focus on modernizing their advertising technology to support metrics beyond traditional impressions, viewability, and clicks.
“Over the past year, we developed a strong hypothesis that attention analytics can help marketers move beyond traditional metrics, like viewability. We believe this study ultimately supports our assumptions. The majority of brand marketers understand and value the concept of attention, but aren’t able to measure it on their own. Measurement is critical to optimizing and improving their campaign creatives and targeting capabilities,” said Lisa Bradner, General Manager of Data & Analytics at Yieldmo.
“We commissioned this study to better understand why so many organizations aren’t taking advantage of new data-based approaches to understanding and harnessing consumer attention,” said Bradner. “The study findings highlight the gap between what marketers know how to measure in mobile advertising today compared to what marketers wish they could measure. And, more importantly, how these metrics would impact advertising performance and business outcomes.”
Key findings from the study include:
- 84% of marketers said their organizations are not capable of measuring customer attention with mobile ads today. Even the marketers who claim to measure customer attention today can’t say which metrics they have or how they’re being used.
- Nearly 80% of marketers are hungry for better customer attention data. Marketing decision-makers are more eager than ever to find new approaches and technology to bolster their understanding of mobile advertising.
- 98% of respondents believe that attention metrics would drive value for their organizations. 65% of respondents said they would use attention data to retarget inattentive consumers, 62% of respondents said they would pursue understanding frequency delivery by an individual consumer, and 62% said they would pursue enhancing click-through rate by retargeting attentive customers.
- Brands see multiple ways attention metrics will improve mobile advertising. 67% of marketers plan to use attention metrics to improve retargeting, better gauge and calibrate ad frequency, and enhance click-through rate. More than 50% plan to use attention data to better test creatives, understand brand lift, drive more sales, and demonstrate brand media value.
- 63% of respondents said they plan to invest in customer attention metrics. 63% of brands indicated they are willing to significantly or slightly increase their investment in capturing customer attention metrics.
“Time is of the essence. Marketers need to enhance their customer attention metrics to help improve the effectiveness of their mobile advertising spend,” said Bradner. “There is a significant amount of untapped revenue that comes from understanding your consumer’s interests and intent. That’s why we have developed AEROS Attention Analytics℠ to help marketers capture and understand attention behavior. Moreover, it enables brands to utilize these metrics to optimize advertising campaigns.”
This Opportunity Snapshot was commissioned by Yieldmo. To create this profile, Forrester Consulting supplemented this research with custom survey questions asked of media buying decision-makers in the US. The custom survey began and was completed in October 2019 in the U.S. with an event split between marketers at retail, automotive, and CPG/Manufacturing brands.
Yieldmo is one of the world’s fastest-growing digital advertising and attention analytics companies. Agencies and brands use their premium marketplace to create, measure, model and optimize their campaigns for unmatched scale and performance. Underpinned by AEROS Attention Analytics℠, advertisers can now truly understand how consumers are interacting with ads before they click, and after the initial view. Yieldmo ultimately delivers better results by harnessing the power of attention data to drive superior audience engagement and targeting.
Visit www.yieldmo.com to learn more.