Can you be-leaf it? Fall is nearly here and, though it’s typically a shoulder season for travel, 2020 demand for certain types of vacations—like camping and vacation rental beach getaways—remained strong. Vacasa, North America’s leading vacation rental management platform, teamed up with Allison+Partners to survey* 1,000 Americans and see if that trend will hold steady for the 2021 season, as well as how, where and why people are planning autumn vacations.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210915005379/en/
Cadillac Mountain Overlook near Maine’s Acadia National Park, one of Vacasa’s most popular fall destinations. (Photo: Business Wire)
Despite ongoing concern around the delta variant, findings show that people are still prioritizing vacations this fall—with safety top of mind. Sixty-two percent of respondents have already or are likely to receive the vaccine before traveling, and are favoring road trips and destinations with ample outdoor activities (leaf peeping, anyone?).
That aligns with what Vacasa data raked in too, with nature-rich vacation spots like Outer Banks, North Carolina; Moab, Utah; and markets surrounding Acadia National Park in Maine, all among the most popular escapes for September and October.
With that in mind, here’s a snapshot of the findings harvested from Vacasa’s 2021 Fall Travel Trends report, released today:
- Work-cations are fully charged for fall: respondents who work remote or in a hybrid format are the most likely to plan to travel (75% and 71%, respectively).
- Back to school means parents get a break too, right? While 48% of parents are planning to travel with their kids, a near-even 46% are planning a vacation with their spouse only.
- More than half (53%) of travelers are planning to take a trip this season that was postponed from earlier in the year—however, it varies by generation. 71% of Gen Zers are planning makeup trips, while 63% of Boomers are making fresh travel plans.
- The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree: regardless of current travel plans, 41% of Americans would most likely travel for a family event (birthday, reunion, etc.), with 35% of consumers saying that a family reunion would most inspire them to travel—an increase from a similar survey fielded in summer 2021.
- Most people would prefer to stay grounded if they were to travel this fall too, with more than half of U.S. consumers favoring a road trip (53%), followed by a domestic trip within the U.S. (42%) and a camping trip (23%).
- In relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, 32% of travelers say that new COVID-19 variants will factor into their upcoming travel plans, along with the number of restrictions in their desired destination (29%) and COVID-19 vaccine requirements (27%).
*Allison+Partners Research + Insights surveyed 1,001 individuals over the age of 18 in the United States. The survey was fielded using the Qualtrics Insight Platform and panel was sourced from Lucid. Fielding was executed in August 2021.
Vacasa is the leading vacation rental management platform in North America, transforming the vacation rental experience by integrating purpose-built technology with expert local and national teams. Homeowners enjoy earning significant incremental income on one of their most valuable assets, delivered by Vacasa’s unmatched technology that adjusts rates in real time to maximize revenue. Guests can relax comfortably in Vacasa’s 30,000+ homes across more than 400 destinations in North America, Belize and Costa Rica, knowing that 24/7 support is just a phone call away. In addition to enabling guests to search, discover and book its properties on Vacasa.com and the Vacasa Guest App, Vacasa provides valuable, professionally managed inventory to top channel partners, including Airbnb, Booking.com and Vrbo. In Summer 2021, Vacasa entered into an agreement to become a publicly traded company through a business combination with TPG Pace Solutions (NYSE: TPGS), a special purpose acquisition company (“SPAC”). Interested parties should refer to the registration statement on Form S-4 filed by Vacasa, Inc. with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for important information regarding TPG Pace Solutions, Vacasa and the proposed business combination.
For more information, visit https://www.vacasa.com/press.